Dartmoor through the ages
The top floor gallery focuses on prehistoric Dartmoor through to the early 20th Century.
- Find out what a Bronze Age hut would have looked like.
- Take a look at the Bronze Age tools.
- See how the people of Dartmoor lived at the turn of the last century from their kitchens, to bathing and laundry.
- Take a step into the social history of the early 20th century, including entertainment and crafts.
- An early fire engine completes the journey.
The middle gallery takes the visitor through the industries that have shaped how Dartmoor looks today.
- Understand more about the geology of Dartmoor and how it provided such fantastic resources to be mined and quarried.
- Take a look at the earliest military use of the moor and why it still plays such a large role in military training today.
- Learn about the wool industry on Dartmoor.
- Discover how transport across Dartmoor has changed.
The ground floor gallery explores the seasonal changes on Dartmoor and how the weather affects the industries and people who are based there.
- Take a look at farming on Dartmoor from the 1800s to the mid-20th century.
- Explore cider making and harvesting.
- Take a look at the agricultural vehicles and machines that revolutionised farming.
- Step through the ancilliary industries that were just as important such as blacksmithing.